Monday, April 6, 2009

1st British Invasion Featured Group

Led the second wave of the Sixties' "British Invasion," after the Beatles. The first British rock band to tour the U.S. Cultivated a "cleaner" image than even the Beatles had, yet created an arguably harder sound. One of the first UK bands to base their sound around drums as opposed to guitar, and to write its own material. Appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show more often than any other band. One of the first and most successful bands to cross over into movies. Band had only 1 number 1 hit, but had 7 Top 10 hits. Band was formed in 1961 (Tottenham, London, England).

2 comments:

  1. Have always enjoyed the British groups. It seems so funny that they don't sing with an accent! Very interesting. There were so many British groups that it's difficult to know which one you are featuring. I enjoyed so many - like The Animals, The Zombies, Chad & Jeremy, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Peter & Gordon, etc. I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I thought the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan more times than any other band! Now I am stumped. Almost every band has drums, but to base their sound upon drums rather than guitar is very unusual I would think. I would have to guess the Animals! Will check in a day or two to see if I'm right.

    ReplyDelete

Turbo Tagger