Monday, May 25, 2009

A New York group makes it Big!

This group from New York was into Pop-soul, Rock and Roll, Pop, Soul, R&B, Jazz-pop, and Psychedelic music at the time. The most consistent hitmakers in what came to be known as "blue-eyed soul". One of the most artistically important American bands in a time dominated by English rock acts. Perhaps the greatest "bar band" to come out of 1960's New York. Able to seamlessly integrate jazz into their pop-soul sound, unlike many white acts. Most of the members got their start in another famous group -- Joey Dee and the Starliters, who scored big in 1962 with "Peppermint Twist." Soon, they were New York's best bar band, roaring through R&B classics at a nightclub called The Barge (which was, indeed, on a barge). They have three # 1 hits and three top 10 hits. I was stationed in Honolulu when this band was very popular. They seemed to me to be the biggest music attraction ever to come to Hawaii.

2 comments:

  1. Lived in Manhattan in the 60's and it was a lot different than today. The bands of yesterday just seemed to have much better songs and were good entertainers. I used to frequent the music scene as often as I could. I can still recall all of the great places I visited with friends and the music blaring out into the street. From your writeup, I remember Joey Dee and recall some of the members names. Thanks for having me re-live the music of the "Young" Rascals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Ellen, you are the only one who knew which group was profiled. Keep in touch for the upcoming artists.

    ReplyDelete

Turbo Tagger